That in itself is a great question and you are wise to ask ahead of time. After you and your spouse have decided to pursue a divorce, choosing the right attorney is crucial. You will need someone who will protect your best interests while guiding you through the legal process of divorce. Choosing an attorney is by far one of the most important decisions you will make during this challenging time.
Along with experience in the field of family law, your attorney should understand New Jersey divorce law, which is one of the most obvious requirements for a successful experience. However, choosing a lawyer is not all about the law or experience; it is also about finding a good fit for you and your unique needs. With this goal in mind, here are some of the best questions to ask during your initial attorney consultation.
- How many divorces in my area have you taken on?
- How many of these have gone to trial?
- How many of your divorce cases involve my particular needs (e.g. child custody, spousal support, etc.)?
Questions regarding daily firm operations
- What are your hours of operation?
- Who can I call for answers to my questions?
- Do you have the time to handle my case effectively?
- If not you, then who will be handling any court appearances?
Questions about how the case will proceed?
- Will I be participating in making strategy decisions?
- How will your firm keep me updated about my case?
- Do you anticipate any difficult or problematic issues to arise?
Obviously, these are just the tip of the iceberg. You can ask your potential attorney anything you like during the first consultation. Consider making a list of the concerns you have in question form and do not feel you must hold back.
Source: WomansDivorce.com, “Divorce Lawyer Consultation Questions,” Noah Rosenfarb, accessed March 03, 2016